In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Camden Public Library

Camden Public Library Facts

Founded:
The first library established in Camden was known as the Federal Society’s Library, and was started in 1796 with a collection of 200 books.

Several years later, in 1854, the Ladies’ Library Association opened in Mrs. Jesse Hosmer’s house on Wood Street. The library later moved to the second floor of the Camden National Bank building and remained at this location until 1892.

On March 23, 1896, the citizens of Camden voted to establish a free public library to be known as the Camden Public Library. The Library opened its doors on June 11, 1928.

Mission:
The mission of the Walsh History Center at the Camden Public Library is to collect, organize and preserve records and information of historical significance to the residents of the towns of Camden, Rockport, and Lincolnville and to make such information available to the public.

Facilities:
Facilities at Camden Public Library include Centennial Room, Reading Room, History Center, Library Amphitheatre, Children's Garden, and the Jean S. Picker Memorial Garden.

Library Hours:
Mondays-Wednesdays – Fridays 9:00 AM-6:00 PM
Tuesdays and Thursdays – 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Sundays 1:00-5:00 PM

The Walsh History Center hours are:
Tuesdays-Fridays 12:00 - 4:00 PM and Saturdays 9:00 AM - 4:00PM.

Activities:
Calendar of Camden Public Library events available at: